Tuesday, August 27, 2013

[Currently Watching] K-Drama, On Air (Episodes 1-3)

I recently joined the Facebook group, Operation: KDrama Chat, where members watch a drama together (two episodes a week) and you guessed it, chat about it.


We're currently watching On Air, starring Kim Ha Neul, Park Yong Ha, Lee Bum So, and Song Yoon Ah. After developing a girl-crush for Kim Ha Neul in A Gentleman's Dignity and falling for Lee Bum So in History of a Salaryman, I was looking forward to watching On Air, which is a drama depicting the behind the scenes of creating a drama with a manager (Lee Bum So as Jang Ki Joon), an actress (Kim Ha Neul as Oh Seung Ah), a scriptwriter (Song Yoon Ah as Seo Young Eun), and a drama director (Park Hon Ha as Lee Kyung Min). 

Three episodes in and I'm don't really like the series much. Some of the lead characters, gah! The scriptwriter is so childish and annoys the hell out of me. She literally sets my teeth on edge and makes me cringe! The director is like this blank character. I can't get a read on him. How can I decide if I like a character if I can't even figure out his personality. The actress is a total bad-ass and I'm torn between equal parts of horror/fear and awe at her actions. The manager is the only character I actively like. However, it's weird that he's maintaining the same lovable idiot hiding a sharp mind act as he played in History of a Salaryman.

Yet, just when I'm ready to abandon the series, the little things keep me intrigued. The fact that scriptwriter Seo is a mother and divorced. The history between Manager Jang and Actress Seung Ah. The subtle sexual tension between scriptwriter Seo and PD Lee Kyung Min. At the moment, the plot isn't developing as quickly as I would like or expect.

For now, I'll keep watching and see where things go.

No comments: