India - 2009
Two friends are searching for their long lost companion. They revisit their college days and recall the memories of their friend who inspired them to think differently, even as the rest of the world called them "idiots".
The title characters in this highly enjoyable 2009 Indian comedy movie are Rancho, Raju and Farhan, none of whom are idiots in the traditional sense. The movie begins with a series of hilarious events from a faked fainting spell to bring down a plane that’s already in flight, a pantsless joyride and threats to harm an idiot (of the usual variety), all resulting in a 10 year reunion. We find out though that someone very important to the others is missing. So, a roundtrip begins to find Rancho. Each stop tells more of the story of the 3 Idiots and their archnemesis--how they met and the reasons for why one of them is missing. With the use of strategic flashbacks, 3 Idiots manages to beautifully portray true friendship, the importance of following your dreams and true love. With the perfect mix of heartwarming humor and heartwrenching tragedy, we experience the miracle that is 'Rancho' Shamaldas Chanchad and how he changes the lives of this around him. Who said that TV teaches you nothing?
In 3 Idiots, there are many essential life lessons to learn:
- Choose your passion and success will surely follow.
- Avoid becoming the robotic student. Learn with passion, not remote memorization.
- You may find your true love when he and two buds crash your sister's wedding.
- The gardener’s son can be more than he appears.
- Money doesn't buy happiness. (I think we all know this one, but it obviously bears repeating.)
- True friends are those who stick by you through thick and thin, the good and the bad; even when you try your damnest to push them away.
In short, 3 Idiots is a definite must watch. I can understand why it's on the favorites list of many, as it has just been added to mine. Go watch it, now. Shoo. Wait, before you go. Here's a link to the full movie on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enl5ldkrMFs
Until next time,