Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Black and White (2009)–Taiwanese Drama

It’s been way too long I know. I have such a long list of dramas to write reviews for, but I’ll get to them eventually. Today, let’s talk about my new two favorite buddies—Pi Zi, the Ruffian and Ying Xiong, the Hero.

image
Title: 痞子英雄 / Pi Tzu Ying Hsiung (Pi Zi Ying Xiong)
English title: Black & White
Genre: Police, action
Episodes: 24
Broadcast period: 2009-Apr-11 to 2009-Jun-27
Download: http://myac.asia/tw-drama-black-and-white-2009/
 
Synopsis: Pi Zi and Ying Xiong are two cops who are as different as day and night. One does nothing except for drinking coffee and living a luxurious lifestyle while waiting for information from dubious sources to crack his cases. Another believes law and justice are the pillars of society and is constantly on the street catching criminals… a little overzealously for his superior’s liking. When a case brought these two top crime solvers together, sparks flied and a little light peeked into this dark city where the nation’s President is on friendly terms with the local triad and twins kill people while drinking milkshake.

My Review: This. Drama. Was. Amazing! Black and White has been on my To Watch list for so damn long and I’ve been kicking my own butt for waiting so long to finally get around to watching it. I’ve been putting it off because it’s not like my typical Romantic Comedy, but boy am I glad I took the plunge and watched this. Black and White isn’t your typical crime drama. From episode one, it grabs you tightly by the collar and doesn’t let you go as you, with the help of Pi Zi and Ying Xiong, struggle to solve a crime that it a lot bigger than it looks and to survive.

The Characters in this drama are diverse and all equally captivating. The relationship between the three leads is very powerful to the overall storyline, but the supporting characters are also just as important. Each one plays such a vital part that the drama would definitely not be what it is without them. I especially love how much Pi Zi and Ying Xiong need and balance one another, despite their vast differences.

The Plot is the best one I’ve seen in any Asian drama that I’ve watched. What I liked best about this drama is the lack of dramatic irony (technique in which audience knows something that the characters do not). I felt a stronger emotional connection while watching this drama because of the fact that the clues were revealed to me as they were revealed to the characters. I felt that I was also cast into the role of a fellow officer and helping to solve the crime. The countless twists and turns in the plot were masterfully placed to keep viewers hooked (like a 2 dollar hoe on crack). Just as I thought I knew what was going on and who was responsible, I get slapped in the face with a “That’s what you think! This story isn’t finished yet”. Another great thing about the drama was the build-up and suspense. They managed to provide the perfect amount, not too much in which you begin to lose interest, but just enough to have you holding your breathe from beginning to end, just enough to have your hand tremble just a bit as you move to click on to the next episode, just enough for you to cry and smile bittersweet smiles because it’s not all over quite yet.

The Soundtrack wasn’t anything special but then again I don’t think a good soundtrack is very necessary in an action drama like this one.

Overall, Black and White deserves to be number uno on your Must Watch list. Don’t put off watching this one like I did…. What are you waiting for? Get to it!

P.S. For those of you who have already watched it, what did you think? Leave your thoughts in the comments! :)

See you again soon,
Tuma

No comments: