Saturday, March 9, 2013

[T-MOVIE] Lovesick (2011)

Also known as Love Phobia
Starring Ariel Lin and Wilson Chen
Taiwanese Movie - 2011
Romantic Comedy




Review: 

In Lovesick, you have Ariel Lin playing Ariel Lin (which a little odd, but let's go with it), a young woman who was burned by her high school sweetheart. Joining a group of divorced aunties, Ariel Lin learns the three rules that will govern her future love life: 1) To barricade herself from men forever, 2) Be your own hero, and 3) There is no true love. Everything is going swimmingly until she meets the good and handsome doctor, Dr. Lu Zhe Han. Doubtful at first about how perfect he seems, she strives to reveal his true inner wickedness. Any man that handsome has to be a sleazebag, right? But wait there's more! Color Ariel Lin surprised when she realizes that not only is Zhe Han one of the rare (but not actually so rare) nice guys, but she's also falling for him!

Hilarity, silliness, and wackiness ensues! The lead couple was a refreshing mix of clumsy-cuteness. The storyline was a bit silly, but part of what I like about Taiwanese cinema is the wacky exaggerations. It's a bit outlandish and not what most Americans are used, but I like it and find it amusing. The characters were all fun (sometimes even ridiculous). In addition to the lead couple, I especially liked the Divorced Aunties Trio and the random taxi-driver. 

Lovesick had a lot of great and amusing scenes. Also, what I really enjoyed was that it gave a traditional scene, like the-chasing-to-the-airport-to-express-your-feelings scene a  wacky twist. The scene began traditionally, but then I was surprised when it didn't end the way I expected and even more surprised when a fist and TV cameras became involved!

There were also some great lines. Two of my favorites are: "This taxi is like a jet engine" and "At what point is she better than me? My heart. She has my heart." Ahhh, *melts* I loved it! 

Overall, this is a cute one to watch and is pretty enjoyable. It starts a little slow and you're not sure what to expect, but you soon find yourself giggling and shaking your damn head at some of the shenanigans. But, don't take my word for it. Go watch it for yourself: VIKI.


No comments: