Wednesday, January 9, 2013

[Anime] Say "I Love You"

Say "I Love You"

Shojo, Romance
13 Episodes, Fall 2012

Synopsis:

Tachibana Mei has had no boyfriend and couldn't even make friends. One day she injures Kurosawa Yamato, the most popular boy in school, and for some reason Yamato takes interest in her...

Click below for review. May contain spoilers.

Review:

I was in the mood for a short, sweet romantic Shojo anime and decided to give this one a try. The synopsis sounded right up my alley. I mean, we all like it when the unpopular girl gets the hot guy right? Mostly because those of us who are really into anime (aka Otakus, which is actually my username on crunchyroll, otaku666. Look me up!) are usually unpopular. I like to think I have the chance at the hot guy, don't you? So this anime was good for my ego if for nothing else.

But I also really enjoyed it! It was a really cute series. Mei and Yamato's relationship was really sweet and endearing. Probably because Mei was so adorable and Yamato such a sweetheart! Yamata wasn't the douchy kind of popular guy and Mei wasn't the weirdo kind of unpopular girl. They also fit well together. Yamato, the more outgoing type, brought Mei out of her shell a little and it was great to witness. Mei's increasing friendship with the others was also fun to watch as each of them had an interesting personality. the character development (each of her friends had their own issues to overcome) and her friends' romantic relationships were also just as sweet. Overall, Say "I Love You" is your typical, though well-done, romantic slice-of-life--that is until the end!

The ending was slightly disappointing. It was like a filler episode. It didn't progress the story, or tie up the loose ends. The fact that the title didn't come into play the way I expected really sucked! 

BUT. I went back and re-watched the very end of episode 13 and I thought to myself, hmmm.... maybe the ending really isn't too bad. I mean, it wasn't what I expected and what I would have liked, but thinking about it more deeply, I realized that the ending was pretty well-suited to the characters. [SPOILER ALERT. MAYDAY. MAYDAY. SPOILER ALERT!] While, I wanted Mei to boldly tell Yamato that she loved him (like in the title), a more quiet declaration, one in her own heart and mind is probably more suited to Mei's character. So, the whispered thought "I Love You" as Yamato and Mei kiss at the very end may have been more perfect than I first beleived. We have to applaud the directors/producers/whomever for staying true to the character, even if the viewers may not be completely satisfied.

Say "I Love You" is a truly enjoyable series that makes you smile and go aww.... Give it a try. Go over to Chrunchyroll, here, to watch it.

Lovingly Yours,
Fatuma
Looney Express - Crazy Reviews

No comments: