Friday, February 7, 2014

[K-Movie Review] Antique Bakery (2008)

I want to begin by saying that I have been wanting to watch this movie for FIVE years. Not kidding. I can't even begin to explain why I waited so long. It's even harder to explain how upset I am at myself for waiting so long!


Antique Bakery is a well-written story about four completely different (but all very handsome) men who are brought together by chance to run a bakery together. The movie portrays the heartwarming, growing friendship between the four men--playboy owner Jin Hyuk, openly gay Seon Woo, young, abrasive, ex-boxer Ki Beom, and adorably clumby oaf Soo Yeong--as they work together to build a successful breaking. In addition to the great acting, likeable characters, interesting story, what I liked the most about Antique Bakery is that is not really the light, fluffy, lighthearted movie it first appears to me. Viewers soon learn that each of the four men have a painful history and their friendship with one another helps them overcome their pain. That's what makes this not only a fun movie, but an extremely touching one as well. I only wish that we could have spent more time seeing the reveal of the characters pasts. For that reason, I look forward to watching the anime series of Antique Bakery as well.

Don't follow my example and wait five years, watch Antique Bakery now. It's a must-watch as far as I concerned.

No comments: